- Discover and analyze a problem in the biomedical sector.
- Become familiar with the techniques of scientific research and technical data.
- Understand teamwork and apply communication skills essential to the engineering function.
This project is carried out by groups of 2 or 3 students in order to mix the training origins of students
During the project, the group observes and analyzes an equipment, a device or a technology from the biomedical sector
This study focuses on the following aspects :
- Scientific aspect : collection of technical, medical and non-medical data
- Economic aspect : the product market, companies involved, problems of cost, support…
- Human aspect associated with the use of these materials or devices in health care: patient comfort, user, social benefits…
To do this, the group uses all the resources of information, notices of concerned equipment or technology. It may contact the manufacturer, made ??an economic assessment and it synthesizes all these data.
The time frame of this project being short, no technical or scientific study to improve the performance of this equipment, this device or this technology is requested
To download the specifications of the tutored project :
Learn the methods of modeling and simulation of living tissues and the technics that allow :
- to build a numerical human organ from medical images (CT slices)
- to digitize an implant and to reconstruct its geometry with a 3D scanner
- to model and to simulate numerically the behavior of biological tissues, organs or implants (Finite Element methods)
Applications of these tools are multiple :
- Help research in biomechanics
- Simulate the performance of a new implant for a preclinical study
- Develop implants "bespoke" (cranial plates, jaws ...)
- Develop simulators or models for the surgeon
Mathematical modelization :
- modelization of living tissue (physical phenomena, physical properties, variables to use, ...)
- state equations and couplings
- initial and boundary conditions (physiologically realistic and consistent)
- numerical simulations in static and dynamic
- multi physical problems
- iterative process and solvers
- critical analysis of the results
Simulation of surgery act :
- reconstruction of an organ from CT slices using the software Simpleware
- an implant scan3D and reconstruction of the geometric model CAD
- simulation of the insertion of an implant in a body
3D finite element simulation :
Behavior of a heart valve (fluid-structure interaction), injection of a drug into a muscle...